Castle Hill Hand Therapy

Have you had a jarred finger?
What is a finger sprain?

Have you ever jarred your finger playing sport or got your finger caught doing everyday things? A finger sprain is a ligament injury to a finger joint, most commonly the middle (PIP) joint. It may be swollen and painful, restricting movement; there may or may not be bruising. An X-ray can be performed to make sure there are no fractures – your hand therapist can arrange this for you. They can also assess the severity of the ligament injury and provide advice regarding the best management.



Depending on the degree of ligament injury, your hand therapist can make a custom made thermoplastic orthosis/splint to support your finger.  Alternatively, soft buddy straps can be fabricated to protect the ligament but still allow some movement. Together with your hand therapist the best option for your injury will be selected.


Hand Therapy:

Your hand therapist will provided you with an exercise program to regain your movement whilst ensuring the ligament is not stretched. Management of swelling will also assist in movement recovery.  This may be achieved with massage or compression bandaging.  A strengthening program will be prescribed once the ligament has healed.



You will be encouraged to use the hand for light activity whilst the ligament is recovering. You should avoid activities that risk stretching of the injured ligament, which is information which your hand therapist will provide you. Heavy lifting or strong gripping should be avoided.


Goal of Hand Therapy:

The main goal of hand therapy is to achieve a stable finger joint that allows you to move, grip, pinch and function as you did before the injury. Please make contact with Castle Hill Hand Therapy if we can be of assistance to you.
The content of this website is general in nature and is provided as a reference only. It is not to be used as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or healthcare provider. For specific questions about your symptoms/condition, you should consult with your doctor or healthcare provider.